It's hectic, it's out-of-rhythm, it's the end of a school year! It's also a great time to finish the year on a positive note that will build into next year. Here are 3 ideas for ending strong — and how LiveSchool can help.
Host a Class Party and Awards Superlatives
A wrap-up party — whether in-person or virtual — is a great way to end the year on a fun note. Our favorite techniques for a celebratory break:
- Compile all those photos you took over the year into an end-of-year slideshow.
- Run icebreaker exercises that get students talking, expressing themselves, and thinking creatively. Here are some favorites.
- Award superlatives. It's easy to make simple certificates and praise students who really went above and beyond in your class this year. Your LiveSchool data can be a quick and easy way to identify students who deserve a specific shout-out: just go to Students Scoreboard and filter to the appropriate roster.
Prompt Student-Led Reflection
Ending the year with self-reflection can be a great way to help students set growth goals for next year. It's also a no-pressure opportunity for them to do some writing.
Teachers regularly share with us how powerful student introspection can be when LiveSchool data is used as a prompt. To give students a "snapshot" of their behavior, batch print Student Dashboards for your class!
Pair the data with reflection questions to get them thinking:
- What behaviors are you most proud of this year?
- What would you change about your behavior next year?
- What goals do you have for how you engage as a student next year, and how will you achieve them?
Our last tip: ask students to format their reflection as a letter to their future selves. It only takes about 20 minutes to fill up a single piece of paper starting with the prompt "Next year, I will..." Bonus points if you can collect the letters and deliver them to students when the summer break is over!
Try Out New Classroom Management Habits with LiveSchool
Your daily classroom management techniques likely start to flex towards the end of the year — so why not try out some new classroom management techniques and see what works for you? LiveSchool has a variety of things you can try.
- Checkout our class tools — like the Timer, Stopwatch, Calculator, and Randomizer. These simple tools are built right into your account, and they make it easy to introduce engaging transitions without opening another app. (Check out our recent guide to the Randomizer as an example!)
- Try out our many settings to customize LiveSchool for disply in your classroom. The more "tangible" you make points to your students, the more motivated students will be to earn those points through positive behavior. LiveSchool power users regularly share their screen mid-class so students can see their LiveSchool points standings, hear the audio notification when a point is awarded, and get a shoutout on the board. We make it easy to configure this display just the way you want it for your style and student needs.
- If you aren't actively recording Points from your phone, the last few weeks of school are a great time to try. Many teachers love using LiveSchool on their phones (either in a browser or in our iOS app) like a remote control. Our Sync mode makes it easy to display LiveSchool on the projector, and then record points and give feedback from anywhere in the room on your device.
Have additional examples on how LiveSchool can help end the year on a high note? Share with us @whyliveschool on twitter!